Ciao a tutti,
Abbiamo finalmente fatto la riunione con ECIT e The Good Lobby (e parlato con European Alternatives) per portare avanti quanto discusso anche in coordinamento riguarda al filone riforme della democrazia partecipativa.
Metto qui il riassunto per tutti.
Our organisations share a mutual interest in the reinforcement of participatory democracy - as a way to strengthen the European Union and as a fundamental completion of representative democracy.
The Conference on the Future of Europe offers an opportunity to add Participatory Democracy to the central topics of the Conference on the Future of Europe.
There are two political goals to be achieved:
- Knowledge: ALL European citizens should know about their participatory democracy rights (starting from the possibility to support European Citizens Initiatives, to all the other tools available)
- Reforms of the existing instruments and creations of new instruments (to mention one for all, Citizens' Asemblies based on sortition)
The proposal to be discussed is to organise a Committee among our organisations, other organisations and individual citizens (i.e. a Council of Participatory Democracy) that can push politically for these two goals.
We could envision two main appointments:
1- An event in Bruxelles around the 15th of March titled "First Council on Participatory Democracy" where invite experts, academics, representatives of organizations, citizens that are currently engaged in European Citizens Initiatives and other forms of Participatory Democracy, ...and discuss a plan for the European Union and the activation of a shared mobilisation.
2- A shared action in Dubrovnik on the 8th of May to officially present the proposals we will agree on at the beginning of the Conference on the Future of Europe. The conception of such an action can be the output of the March event
Current initiatives on the topic from the different organisations:
- Draft of a working document to become a Petition the European Parliament on information about participatory democracy (funding and direct communication to the citizens - equal dignity between participatory democracy and representative democracy) - Doc attached + previous initiative "Letter to Commissioner Jourova" involving other promoters of European Citizens Initiatives
- Draft of a petition to the European Parliament to include a system of Sortition based Citizens' Assembly in the Conference on the Future of Europe
The Good Lobby
- Toolkit for citizens' activation (Italy) / promotion of the European Toolkit
- Network of citizens using participatory democracy
- Connections with youth organisations working with different forms of citizens' assemblies
- network on European citizenship (experts, and organisations)
- Meeting to keep on discussing this project and share feedback based also on our internal processes.
Potential Dates: Wednesdy 12th of February at 5 pm / Thursday 13th of February at 5 pm
- Inviting other organisations to join the meeting (it would be great if we can share a list of the organisations that each one of us might want to invite in advance so that we are all aware and we don't overlap)
Ciao a tutti,